is a city in Essex County
, United States
. As of the 2000 census, the population was 48,129.
Peabody is located in Boston's North Shore
suburban area. First known as the Northfields, "the Farms", and Brooksby, the area was settled about 1626 within Salem
which had itself been founded in 1626 and incorporated in 1629. In
1752,the area was set off from Salem and incorporated as part of Danvers
and then usually referred to as "the South Parish", which was
associated with the church located in the center (now Peabody Square).
In 1855, the community broke away from Danvers to become the town of
South Danvers, incorporated that May 18. The name was changed on April 30, 1868
to Peabody after George Peabody
, a noted philanthropist
. It would be incorporated as a city in 1916.